Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hugo and Death

When I was a kid, I played a lot of DOS games. In some ways, some of those games were (and are) much more entertaining that some of our current games. Games like Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Secret Agent, Loom, The Kings Quest series, etc. (some of these games I now play on my macbook using an emulator *heart*)

But there is one game that I loved to play but never finished. A number of titles that included Hugo's House of Horrors. Basically, you played as Hugo, the title character, and sometimes as Penelope (his wife/girlfriend/sister/friend?) his female companion. Some thing would happen, the aforementioned haunted house, crashlanding in a jungle... something. And then you would have to try and solve the mystery. It was text driven, and sometimes you had to be very specific in your wording like "pick up the matches. light the matchstick" Many hours of fun(??)

Anyway, the other thing about this game was the fact that I always got to a point where everything I did lead to the death of the character I was playing. I'd walk through a field and get killed by bees. Accidentally run afoul of cannibalistic natives and end up in the stew pot, get killed by ghosts throwing knives, something. Or I'd manage to start a step too early, and then not manage to finish the game. :/

As an adult, I've come to the conclusion that the game was basically unplayable. But it still niggles that I couldn't win it. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment